Is it just me or do people seem to be gaga for lentil burgers these days? Anyhoo, if you fall into the “gaga for lentil burgers” category, you are going to love this recipe, which is a veganized version of these lentil burgers Martha Stewart made on her show with guest star Chevy Chase.
Spicy Lentil-Walnut Burgers
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup lentils, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for frying
- 1 flax egg (2 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons warm water)
- Combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, jalapeno (if using), cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper in a food processor until finely ground (be careful not to blend it so much that it turns into a paste). Add lentils, onion and 1 tablespoon oil. Pulse a few times until just coarsely chopped.
- Combine lentil mixture with flax egg in a medium size bowl. Make four patties.
- Preheat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Cook patties until crisp and browned, about 8 to 10 minutes on each side. Serve burgers on pitas or buns with your favorite fixings.
I don’t have a picture of these bad boys so I’ll leave you with this.
These little guys are available for adoption through Tenth Life Cat Rescue. I love the “two-headed kitty” cuddle.