Everyone’s favorite smoothie in a muffin. I normally don’t eat my muffins plain, but these are just fine on their own. That ice on the strawberry is a sad reminder that winter’s still here. The fresh snow on the ground this week was another reminder. Here’s to spring coming really, really soon.
Strawberry Banana Spelt Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sucanat
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray 1/2 of 12-cup muffin pan with oil.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt in a medium size mixing bowl. In a separate medium size bowl, combine nondairy milk and vinegar. Add sucanat, mashed banana, oil and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in strawberries.
- Fill 6 muffin cups with batter. Fill the remaining muffin cups with 2 tablespoons of water each for even baking. Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 6 muffins