Autumn (the fancy word my friend fall sometimes goes by) is officially here! Or maybe not officially, but as far as I’m concerned, it’s time for apple-picking, pumpkin patches, giant leaf piles, open windows, hot cinnamon-spiced cider, and, my favorite part, pumpkin and apple pie! Fall also means comfort food! What’s better than hanging out by a warm stove when it’s cold outside? So, to welcome the season, I made this recipe for “Mac-Oh, Geez!” from Dreena’s Vegan Recipes tonight for dinner along with the Molasses Baked Beans from Vive le Vegan! What screams comfort food more than mac n cheese and baked beans?
Both were absolutely delicious, which makes me even more excited for Let Them Eat Vegan!, Dreena’s long-awaited fourth cookbook, which will be out in 2012. I replaced the brazil nuts with more cashews in the “Mac-Oh, Geez!” and it turned out great, so feel free to use more cashews if you don’t have brazil nuts. I made this simple potato-beet-green bean salad to round out the meal. I love how the beets dye the potatoes pink!
Potato-Beet-Green Bean Salad
- 1 large potato, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 5 small beets (2 medium-size beets), chopped
- 1 cup green beans, ends removed and cut in half
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Place potatoes in a medium-size saucepan and cover with several inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 13-15 minutes, until they can be pierced with a fork (but are still holding together). Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam the green beans for five minutes.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, except for the minced garlic and beets, in a medium-size bowl. Add the potatoes, green beans, garlic, and beets (yes, leave beets raw!). Toss until covered. Serve at room temperature or cold. (This would be a good recipe to make ahead of time in order to let the flavors marinate for a while before serving, but it’s also tasty eaten right away.)
Yield: 2 servings
By the way, I wanted to mention that starting on October 1, I am going to be Vegan Mofo-ing it, so expect to hear a lot more from me in the near future! I’m looking for a theme for the month, so let me know your ideas!