This is my 80th post! To celebrate, here is a recipe for delicious chocolate chai spice cupcakes with cardamom icing. They even impressed my bacon-loving little cousin, Allison. At a family Chanukah party this weekend, we all competed to see who could make the best cupcakes, “Cupcake Wars.” My cousin Harlene won with banana-chocolate-chip cupcakes, but I heard mine weren’t too far away from winning. I adapted this recipe by combining two recipes, actually. The chocolate cupcakes recipe is adapted from The Joy of Vegan Baking, the idea for the “chai spice” part and the cardamom icing came from jae steele’s Get it Ripe.
Chocolate Chai Spice Cupcakes – adapted from Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes in The Joy of Vegan Baking
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer
- 2 tbsp. warm water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated vegan butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350. Fill a 12-cup cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a food processor, whip together the egg replacer powder and water.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder and boiling water, and stir well. Set aside to cool. In a separate bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – I use my hand to stir it (it’ll take a few minutes). Add the egg replacer mixture and vanilla, and thoroughly combine. Add the flour mixture and the cocoa/water mixture, alternating (start and end with flour mixture), and stirring between each new addition. Once it’s all combined, stir for 1 minute until nice and smooth. Divide the batter evenly among 12 cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then carefully transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Tip: Once frosted, I prefer to store the cupcakes in the fridge and eat them cold (if I am not going to eat them on the day I made them).
Cardamom Icing — recipe from Get it Ripe
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until creamy. You will probably have leftovers — just freeze and use again the next time you have a need for icing!
Here are all of the cupcakes from the “Cupcake Wars:”