These muffins are really good (and, bonus, very easy to make :)). They’re not as sweet as the Bakery-Style Strawberry Muffins I just posted about (even though they are chocolate-y) and would be perfect for breakfast or brunch. This recipe is adapted slightly from the Cocoa Raspberry Muffins in Vegan Brunch.
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. applesauce
- 1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (or fresh) strawberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 and line 12-cup muffin pan.
- Combine nondairy milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and let sit for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add nondairy milk, oil, applesauce and vanilla extract. Fold in strawberries.
- Transfer batter evenly to muffin pan. Bake for 24-28 minutes, until a knife inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, and then carefully transfer to a cooling rack.
Yield: 12 muffins