St. Louis, Missouri
- Sweet Art — vegan-friendly bakeshop and cafe
- Pi Pizzeria — carries Daiya cheese and Match sausage meat (both vegan)
- Gokul — vegan buffet on 1, 3 Monday of month at Page location; 2, 4 Monday of month at Delmar location
- PuraVegan Raw Cafe — 100% raw, vegan cafe
- Black Bear Bakery — worker-owned and operated bakery; don’t miss the vegan buffet on Sundays, 10-2pm, $10 w/ live music! (the Saturday brunch at the same time is both vegan/vegetarian with clear labels) + the 2nd Saturday of the month benefits KDHX, the 4th Sunday of the month benefits either Wild Bird Rehabilitation, Tenth Life Cat Rescue or Gateway Pet Guardians
- Cafe Natasha’s Kabob International — has an entire vegan and gluten-free menu; the best falafel I’ve ever had!
- Everest Cafe and Bar — Nepalese, Korean and Indian cuisine; I love their tofu and organic baby spinach in tomato sauce
- Local Harvest Cafe — vegan options during lunch, dinner and brunch on the weekend — I love their vegan enchiladas, chorizo pot pie, and stuffed french toast. They also make a delicious vegan chocolate chip cookie. They just added vegan samosas to their Fall 2011 menu — amazing!
- Foundation Grounds — adorable coffee house in Maplewood serving fair-trade, certified organic Goshen coffee, vegan treats (including vegan cheesecake!), agave-sweetened lattes, and lavender lemonade.
- Pho Grand — lots of vegetarian options for a reasonable price!
- Katie’s Pizzeria — trendy pizzeria in Clayton walking distance from the Hi-Pointe Theater (perfect for “date night”). You must try the “fingerling potato” pizza with fingerling potatoes, parsnips, onions, and fresh rosemary — to make it vegan request tomato sauce and ask them to leave off the meat/cheese. It is kind of pricey ($17) but two people can split that one because the toppings are so filling (you might want to split a salad too). The cherry tomato pizza (the first one one listed on the menu) without cheese (and add tomato sauce) is really good too, FYI! The crust is heavenly.
- South St. Louis Pizza Company – a young company serving their delicious vegan pizza at The Heavy Anchor and The Silver Ballroom. Three unique flavors, personal size $5/each.
- The Vine — traditional Lebanese restaurant on South Grand; the vegan “Appetizer Combo” is more than enough food for two people for an amazing price ($13.99)!
- I Scream Cakes — Vegan Ice Cream + Vegan Ice Cream Cakes. Need I say more?
Greg of The Redneck Vegan Kitchen (a fellow STL vegan blogger!) had some additions to this list. Here they are — thanks, Greg!
- Bahn Mi So — this is my favorite restaurant in the city. They are an obscure little hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place buried in south city with a TON of vegan options. They advertise in neon lights to have the “Best Spring Rolls in St. Louis.” This is wrong — they are the best spring rolls anywhere. Period. (IMHO.)
- Lemongrass — try the sesame tofu and you will see why.
- Thai Country Cafe/Thai Pizza/Thai Cafe (the Loop places) — The Thai places on the Delmar Loop are really quite good. Thai Pizza and TCC have some amazing noodle dishes.
- Meskerem — The best Ethiopian food in the city. I did a survey of vegetarians in St Louis a couple of years ago asking for their favorite restaurants. This place was the winner, and it wasn’t close. As far as I can see there’s no reason to get anything other than the vegetarian combo for one (which EASILY feeds two people).
- Mokabe’s — this is a gay friendly/run coffe house with some solid vegan options. Their black bean burger, imo, the best vegetarian burger in St. Louis. (Specify vegan — they know what it means.)