Since it’s too hot to make hot cocoa, put your leftover hot cocoa mix from winter to good use with this recipe.
Hot Cocoa Ice Cream with Chocolate Shavings
Adapted from here.
- 2 cups unsweetened/unflavored almond milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hot cocoa mix (I used Kalamazoo Coffee Company brand, which has hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.)
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, ground (I used a spice grinder.)
- scant 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- Heat almond milk and chocolate chips over medium-low heat, whisking to combine. Add hot cocoa mix, maple syrup and arrowroot and whisk constantly until well-combined and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to return to room temperature and then chill in the fridge until cold (2-3 hours). Process according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Store in the freezer.
Yield: About a pint’s size worth of ice cream, perfect for one person. Which means I ate this all by myself in one sitting…